Floods Destroy - Be Prepared
Flood Action Campaign 2016 - 1 to 11 November 2016
A campaign is run every year to encourage people to find out if they're at flood risk and take action to be better prepared for flood. Here, we set out what you need to do to prepare yourself for flooding.
Three simple steps
There are three simple things that you can do to reduce the impact of flooding on you, those close to you, and your property.
- Check your flood risk
A quick postcode check online or by phone will tell you your level of flood risk.
- Sign up for free flood warnings
If you’re in an area at high risk of flooding you may be able to sign up for our Floodline Warnings Direct Service. It's completely free and you can choose how you receive warnings about flooding. You'll need to provide some basic information about yourself and your property and/or business.
- Know what to do when flooding happens
If you know what to do when flooding happens you will save time, money and perhaps some of the distress. We can't always stop it but we can be better prepared. What would help you?
- Make a flood plan - Who would you call? Who needs to know you're safe? Who are you worried about?
- Know how to turn off your water stopcock
- Know how to isolate your gas and electricity supply
- Identify a safe place to go should a flood happen
- Insure your things - bricks to tech: what could it cost you?
- Think about your most treasured possessions: are they out of harm's way?
- Check for flood warnings and local news before you travel
- Don’t drive through floodwater
It's simple to be prepared - check your flood risk:
Visit www.gov.uk/floodsdestroy or call Floodline on 0345 988 1188
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/EnvAgency
Visit our Facebook page www.facebook.com/environmentagency
Read our blog environmentagency.blog.gov.uk